- Category: News
TOO MANY foreign workers in the Klang Valley have not been vaccinated against typhoid, says Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam.
He blamed employers for the predicament, saying that they were “taking shortcuts” to save themselves money and were putting people at risk.
Checks jointly conducted by the ministry and Kuala Lumpur City Council (DBKL) showed that more than 30% of foreign workers were not vaccinated, he said.
He said that among Malaysian workers, only 3% were unvaccinated.
“The difference is obvious. Some employers are taking advantage and shortcuts.
“I hope they take this (vaccinations) seriously and make right choices,” he said.
It is compulsory for restaurant owners and food vendors to have their workers vaccinated against typhoid, he said.
Dr Subramaniam said that under the Infectious Disease Prevention Act and DBKL’s Food Handlers Provision, employers who flouted the law could be fined.
He said more than 1,000 business premises were checked recently and warning notices were issued to some.
“We did not close shops. We have given them a chance to right their wrongs.
“But if it continues, we will take action,” he said.
According to him, there are always some typhoid cases in the country.
“But this time, there was an outbreak in some places and it became an issue,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby.
- Category: News
By Nuradzimmah Daim - 28 October 2015 @ 1:27 PM KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 518 foreign workers’ death were reported at the construction sector since 2006, the Dewan Rakyat was told today. Deputy Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Abd Muttalib said according to statistics recorded until Sept 30, nationality with the highest deaths were Bangladesh (216) and Indonesia (64). \"This figure only covers foreign workers at construction sector. There are about 1.9 million legal foreign workers in various sectors in Malaysia,\" he said in reply to a question by Dr Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj (PSM-Sungai Siput). Ismail said a total of 5,340 cases of accidents at construction sites were recorded by the ministry up to September this year. This, he said, compared to the 3,670 cases involving 131 compounds and 57 cases brought to court last year. \"The ministry, through the Department of Safety and Health, is committed to ensure safety, the workers’ welfare and public in the surrounding and prevent accidents at construction sites. \"Our efforts include regular meetings with related agencies including Safety and Health Council, Congress of Unions of Employees in the Public and Civil Services (Cuepacs) and Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC), as well as legal actions and regular checks at construction sites.\" Read More : http://www.nst.com.my/news/2015/10/518-foreign-workers-deaths-construction-site-2006